Chaotic, Crazy & Evil - Cruella Trailer Review

Disney's animated classics gave us some truly amazing villains. You think of characters like Maleficent, Scar, Captain Hook, and more who have transcended pop culture, becoming as famous and revered by audiences as their hero counterparts. 

So what happens when you make a film based purely on the bad guy? Well it runs the risk making them feel too "good" like Maleficent (2014) which received mixed reviews. Villains are great because they're evil, so I was always nervous when Disney announced they were developing a Cruella film (based on 101 Dalmatians). But this week we got a poster and a full trailer and it's and understatement to say I've done a complete 180 on my opinions.


With Emma Stone cast as Cruella, we always knew this film would be worth watching just for the sheer class of what we know she can bring to a role. But the poster (above) was just WOW. I immediately got St Trinian's vibes - gothic, psychotic and a whole lot of sass. Emma Stone was Cruella in every sense of the imagination.

But the trailer was more than I could have expected. The best thing about Cruella in the original 101 Dalmatians film - apart from the "evilness" - was just how bloody crazy she was. Eye's popping, hair frizzing, screaming like there's no tomorrow, Cruella was just a crazy, iconic villain, and I'm really glad the trailer gave us such similar vibes. 


Just like Cruella herself, this film looks chaotic and psychotic in all the right ways. The costumes are as snazzy as you'd expect (without the spots of course), and you can tell Emma Stone has truly immersed herself into this role. "Disney's Joker" was trending after the trailer dropped and it was a perfect comparison to make. We don't know much in terms of story, but it does seem like Cruella is already pretty twisted and different. I think she will experience things which I assume will lead to an eventual mental "snap" of sorts.

It's important to me that as a villain, we don't lose the sense of the Cruella character being evil, but I'm totally up for seeing why she becomes the way she does. She's already a bit edgy in the trailer (which I like), and I cannot wait to see where the full story takes us. In her own words  - "But I wasn't for everyone".

If it's anything like the Joker movie, I'm sure most of us will be happy. Emma Stone looks fantastic, the film looks chaotic, and I can't believe how excited I am to actually see this now.


Cruella releases in the UK in May 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timelines, Run Times and More - All You Need To Know For Avengers: End Game

Avengers: Endgame Is Officially Top Of The World

Why The Marvel Cinematic Universe Is One Of Cinemas Greatest Achievements