Film Without Romance? No Thanks - My Favourite Romantic Films

Valentines weekend is here and serves as a great reminder to love those closest to us. Romance is well and alive in February, and it's also an excuse for people to turn to their favourite rom-coms or tear-jerkers and watch till the hearts content.

Romantic films, and the Valentine season in general tend to heavily skew towards women. It makes sense I guess, but believe me when I say romance in film is something that can be enjoyed by everyone. I'm a guy, and I love romantic films (THERE I SAID IT)! 💁😁 Whilst I haven't (and don't intend too) watch Fifty Shades, Netflix has tons of romantic films to choose from this weekend. And yes, I'm looking forward to watching the latest To All The Boys film!


Since I don't have anything better to do this Valentines, I thought I'd share with you all some of my favourite romantic films. Some of these aren't straight up romantic films, but romance is definitely a big theme in each one. In no particular order, enjoy...

Cinderella (2015) - This one is still by far my favourite live-action Disney remake. The film capturers the essence of the animated classic and adds some much needed depth to the characters and story. Lily James is amazing and her portrayal of Cinderella is both kind and beautiful. 

Wimbledon (2004) - This came on TV once, and I starting watching it because sports (tennis) and Kirsten Dunst (MJ from Spiderman). But damn this film is great. It perfectly balances the tennis and the romance, but the latter is definitely the soul of the film.

Little Women (2019) - One of my favourite films from recent years, Greta Gerwig's adaption of this literary classic is simply outstanding. The cast is stacked (Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern, Timothee Chalamet, and more), and the narrative structure is bold with two different timelines coinciding into one. There's more to this film than romance, but its filled with plenty of love.

The Proposal (2009) - You can't go wrong with this one. It's a simply story, but it's funny and charming at all the right times. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds are a perfectly cast duo, I really want them to make another film like together.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before (2018) - Not the best on this list, but it does the job. I definitely preferred the first film over the second, it was just more amusing and I liked Lara Jeans journey once she discovers her letter have been posted. Can't wait to see the third one!

Bride Wars (2009) - I feel like I'd be judged for this one the most, but who cares. It's kind of trashy, but the film is super fun and I tend to enjoy most things Anne Hathaway is in. But seriously, that venue was NOT worth all the fuss LOL.

Crazy Rich Asians (2018) - Who doesn't love this film? It's a fun story and it was so refreshing to see a different type of rom-com with a diverse and amazing cast. I know this film isn't a perfect representation, but family pressure can be a real thing when it comes to marriage and relationships in Asian families, but making everything so much more "extra" definitely made the film a whole lot more fun. 

Some honourable mentions also go to La La Land, Queen & Slim, The Shape Of Water, American Beauty, and of course those classic late 90's/early 2000's Bollywood films too...Kal Ho Naa Ho will always be my favourite.

Regardless of your relationship status, romance (and love in general) in film is there to be enjoyed by all, and Valentine gives us a chance to appreciate a genre which sometimes gets overlooked and brushed off more than it deserves. Remember to revisit you favourite rom-coms this weekend...and Happy Valentines!  

Comments

  1. I agree with so many of these choices! Still haven’t watched Little Women yet though!! Good piece Mit 👍🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Little Women is definitely worth the watch!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Timelines, Run Times and More - All You Need To Know For Avengers: End Game

Avengers: Endgame Is Officially Top Of The World

Why The Marvel Cinematic Universe Is One Of Cinemas Greatest Achievements